Saturday, January 8, 2011

Week One of the 2011 Challenge

Well, it's been seven days....a lot can happen in seven days. In my case....not much happened.

I guess I was expecting there to be a line up at my front door once the news of my 2011 dare/challenge hit the streets.
I was expecting phone calls, notes from secret admirers, flowers, candy, romantic candle lit dinners, walks in the snow covered parks, slow dancing to jazz quartets, men declaring their love by writing it in the sky with the use of planes. What? Are my expectations too high?

One thing I was fully expecting was at least a phone call, just one; but it never came. Case and point: New Years Eve Day a handsome man was dropped into my lap unexpectedly. While my plans of eating a bag of Ruffles All Dressed chips and polishing off a bottle of champagne by myself were already set in stone, I had to unfortunately decline his request to join him on New Years Eve. Let's not forget, it was my last opportunity to say "No" for the next 365 days. To my surprise this handsome man, let's call him Matt, messaged me the following day asking to join me for a quick drink before he had to meet some of his friends for dinner. My new word of 2011 being "Yes", I told him where I was and awaited his arrival.
It was an easy, no pressure, fun and flirty first time meeting. Turns out we have a lot in common and the conversation was not forced. I thought: "this challenge is going to be easy if this is what I have to go through for the next 365 days".
At around 8:30pm Matt had to leave for dinner with friends and asked if we could hang out again. Of course I said "Yes", and he leaned in, gave me a kiss on the cheek and a hug. Very nice, gentlemanly and sweet. That my friends is where the story ends. Pretty boring...I know.

Yes, there have been a couple of texts back and forth, but no mention of the request to hang out again. That's not to say it won't happen in the future but it does remind me of a great moment in TV history. One that makes light of this common situation that many of us find ourselves in quite often.

I have a feeling this challenge is going to teach me a lot, and remind me of some rules in the dating game that I may have forgotten. Funny enough, friends and family have taken an active interest, and I'm enjoying comparing stories with others. Seems I'm not the only one with some winnings tales up their sleeve.

4 comments:

  1. Perhaps in 2011 you should take the leap of asking the men out first

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the idea.
    I was dared to not say 'No' if asked out, that's not to say I can't/won't ask out someone I'm interested in.
    But I'll be sure to keep your specific recommendation in mind for 2012...if the world still exists after Armageddon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! I love it! Keep em coming!
    PS good name choice! lol

    SJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a friend that has been there since this little social experiment was cooked up I think that you are doing a great job!
    My favorite part of your 2011 dating rules is that the second a guy texts/says something you don't like you just delete their number!
    So simple! Perfection!

    ReplyDelete